Thursday, November 14, 2013

Week 12: Snow


I’m not sure about all of you, but it seems fitting that this week the book in question is Snow by Ronald Malfi—I haven’t been warm in a week and I’m still in denial over the first snow of the season. I finished the book under piles of blankets with a fleece zipped up to my chin, and I still couldn't get warm. The reading material didn’t help the cause.

I know I've mentioned in past blog posts that I’m not a fan of snow, or winter, or being cold in general. I’d rather be too hot than too cold any day. Snow was the third piece this term that was set in an extremely cold setting—first 30 Days of Night set the stage in Alaska, followed by The Thing in Antarctica, before finishing up in Woodson, Minnesota with Snow

The setting of Snow pulled double duty in this week’s book, and this was the first and only of the term that’s done so. Not only is the setting enough to make your skin crawl (literally, goose bumps abound) but the setting is the monster. Snow itself is the beastie that goes bump in the night.



If I didn't have enough issues with the cold…

It all starts with Todd traveling cross-country to visit his son. However, all flights are cancelled due to a freakishly intense snow storm. Todd decides to rent a car anyway and drive the rest of the way to his son. At this point, it was like watching a bad horror movie when screaming, “DON'T GO IN THERE!” at the TV starts. One of the worst snow storms in history and we’re going to drive in it. Insert face palm here.

But how else are the hero and the people he picks up at the airport going to encounter the monsters? It’s clear something strange is afoot after picking up a hitchhiker with vertical slashes over his shoulder blades. Turns out he's been possessed by the Snow. The Snow, or skin-suits as they’re later called, are these near-formless beings that need a host to become solid and feed. They attach and insert themselves through the shoulder of their hosts by means of scythe-like limbs in place of hands. Any trace of the host is gone. Even though the bodies can be destroyed, the Snow will only be damaged. Fire is their only vulnerability, as the heat gives them solid form and strips them of defense.

The most unsettling thing about the Snow is what they do to children. For whatever reason, the Snow can't inhabit a child-host without erasing all facial features. It’s like “The Idiot's Lantern,” the episode of Doctor Who when Rose loses her face. There's no explanation as to where the Snow came from, but it's implied they're aliens. 


While I did find the faceless children both disturbing and sad, I was underwhelmed with these monsters. Aliens have popped up now three times this semester, and so many of the monsters this term were reliant on a host. The hosts in Snow become zombie-like, and I'm starting to tire of zombies. While the book was a fast read and I enjoyed aspects of it, these monsters did nothing for me. It was three hundred pages of the main characters running away from the Snow. Yes the Snow were active monsters, which I enjoy, but there was a profound lack of backstory for them. Lack of backstory isn't always a bad thing, but they weren't the most interesting monsters I've read about. I had a hard time getting invested in the quest to defeat the Snow.

Also, the end of the Snow was predictable. It was made clear around the middle of the book that they could be defeated by fire, so it felt like a long while before a big enough explosion came about to wipe them out. Yet the ending is left open. It's revealed that Woodson wasn't the only city plagued by the Snow, so the beastie-alien are free to run around the country looking for a bad enough snow storm to ride in on. 

What I enjoyed about this book was the dialogue and the setting. The dialogue was fast paced and read how people talk. I appreciate a well-placed juicy expletive because it’s real (or maybe my perception is warped because I work with a bunch of sailor-mouths), and let’s face it. If someone’s running away from the Snow with its scythe-hands of doom, “Oh fudge” probably isn’t what would come out of most mouths.

I also liked that the setting was both a setting and a monster. I've read books where the setting absolutely contributed to the scare-level, but I liked that Malfi took this a step further and had the snow become a perversion of nature. I think it had more of an impact because it’s so cold right now. Might not have thought about what’s riding on the cold wind so much if it was a balmy 80 degrees out.


Let's just say, this book didn't change my opinion about snow, but I’m not sure if that's a good or bad thing.


5 comments:

  1. I didn't mind the mystery around the monsters too much, because I thought they were an interesting concept (except for when they just seemed like zombies). I would have liked a few more answers about them, though, especially since they were my favorite thing in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved toward the end when the snow monsters banded together to make super Voltron snow monster. I would have liked to have seen more scenes like that than just mainly the pod-people and the single snowdrifts. Also didn't get the "phallic sludge worm" that Kate saw in the police station. That seemed completely different from all the other incarnations of the snow monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Malfi's use of dialogue. It was, as you said, very realistic, and the occasional expletive added to the realness of it. People reacted the way I think they would given the situation. Character overall is definitely his strong suit as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too enjoyed the expletives. I got some advice from friends and took out a bunch of fbombs from my manuscript. It felt weird, but I did it. Then Scott emailed me asking where all the f***s went and told me to put them back. Always go with your gut. There's no substitute for a well placed curse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the ending - making them vulnerable to fire was a bit of an easy one. Especially considering just how vulnerable they are - one whack with a torch kills Shai-hulud (may his passage cleanse the world). Sort of odd that they pick a host that needs warmth to function if they have such a weakness to it.

    ReplyDelete